Recessing an electric fire in Semi detatched ?!?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
might-try-that
Labourer
Labourer

Recessing an electric fire in Semi detatched ?!?

by might-try-that » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:37 pm

Hi all !!

Ok, so, we’re talking a standard red brick semi detached built mid 80’s to put this into context.

Looking to add an electric fire that needs to be recessed into a wall, that wall being the dividing wall between the 2 houses. It is far from a grade 1 listed building but all the same looks far better in its current state than if I get this wrong and turn it into a detached..... pile of bricks that is! So.....

The fire is 50” digital flame fire (item number 202573298942 as found on eBay if it helps) and requires recessing of around 12cm deep.

I am confident about the electrics etc and chasing walls for hiding cables etc but.... I am concerned about the depth and width I need to recess into the wall, anybody able to offer any advice or done this before? Will I need a lintel? If so, flat steel lintel 1cm thick that could slot into mortar space or am I looking at a full on 15/20cm thick concrete lintel or, if it does not take the full brick depth away do I need a lintel at all?

I have scanned and googled till my fingers ache but nowhere can I find an answer so here I am, looking for that illusive answer, The A-Team aren't answering the phone, Bob the builder is stuck in a local lockdown in Tenerife and Thunderbirds can't respond as the MOT's have run out...so I am hoping to find some super human who has the answer here on diydoctor..... what would you prescribe to cure my problem? ;-)

I thank you in advance.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Recessing an electric fire in Semi detatched ?!?

by ericmark » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:41 pm

The normal way is not to make a hole but to make a false chimney breast for it to fit in, had one in my house years ago, took it down and made a pond out of the bricks.

might-try-that
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Recessing an electric fire in Semi detatched ?!?

by might-try-that » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:18 pm

Thank you for the reply Eric, you seem very experienced looking at the number of post you have !!

It is design to be a flush fitting to the wall, the current fire we have is electric but we did it last time so it does have a hearth, marble back, full fireplace surround etc but after years of having that we have decided it takes up a lot of `real estate` on the wall unnecessarily and `the boss` does not want a protruding chimney breast which I agree would be easier but not quite so flush to the wall :-)

We are going to try and make a more minimilistic look this time round and add a large flat screen tv to the wall above [the old eyes are not what they used to be and I am tired of squinting at the TV to read anything :-) ] and a side to side running lower unit for all the other day to day stuff so this fire I was hoping to have inset into the wall above the lower cabinet and below the TV.

I am, as you can tell, just very worried about knocking into the brickwork incorrectly, I know it can be done, it is just this with or without a lintel and what type of lintel if one is required. My better have will never forgive me if I turn the house into rubble !!

Thanks again Eric.
Attachments
fire1.jpg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1