DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Rectifying 1974 built gas flue

Postby angela » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:21 pm

My gas flue c 1974 needs extending to comply with present regs for fitting new gas fire. Does this need qualified corgi guy? I recognise fire fitting does and what are the regs I have been quoted £250 to rectify flue and fit gas fire-- seems OTT! What need to be done just to extend the flue?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:15 am


Simply Build It

Postby htg engineer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:59 am

I couldn't really comment on the £250 being OTT - as you haven't said what they need to do to the flue.

Does it need extending ?
flue liner ?
chimney pot / cowl ?
catchment space altered / sealed ?

Get a few more quotes if they're all around the £250 mark - then you know it must be a fair price.

Make sure they are CORGI registered for fitting the fire, if it's a bricklayer that's needed - it's probably best to ask the Installer to recommend one. You'll find some bricklayers will do the job, but will it be right ?
htg engineer
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3256
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:22 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics