Red Tiled Downstairs Subfloor Help Needed
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Adamneedshelp
Labourer
Labourer

Red Tiled Downstairs Subfloor Help Needed

Post by Adamneedshelp » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:27 pm

Hi there. I’m renovating a house and downstairs the subfloor is made from these red tiles. Like pamments but not as nice. It’s a 60s house in the U.K. so hopefully someone knows what I mean. I want to lay vinyl flooring everywhere and it’s obviously not suitable because of the unevenness.

Can I use self levelling compound on these tiles? I would assume not but that would certainly be easiest...

Failing that could I screed over them with sand/cement? I’m not sure if it would adhere?

Any help or advice is welcomed, thankyou.

NathanIfans
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Red Tiled Downstairs Subfloor Help Needed

Post by NathanIfans » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:33 am

If the tiles are too solid to lift up to screed the floor properly, then I see no issues in using self leveling on top, to flatten for vinyl

One thing - if screeding or using self levelling compound, you will nedd to make 100% sure that the base you are laying on is totally solid otherwise movement could occur and the screed/self leveller will move and crack

Ultimately, it's best to lay on a firm solid base so removing the tiles may be the best solution

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm