RED WIRES
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ANNIE86
Labourer
Labourer

RED WIRES

by ANNIE86 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi all! I recently bought an ex council house, and as I was wiring the new plugs/switches I noticed that the wiring are all different colours. Some of them are the old Black/red/green and yellow combo, but a lot of the upstairs are all just red wires!

Does anyone know when this would date back to? And am I going to have to get the house rewired?

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: RED WIRES

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:16 pm

[quote="ANNIE86"]Hi all! I recently bought an ex council house, and as I was wiring the new plugs/switches I noticed that the wiring are all different colours. Some of them are the old Black/red/green and yellow combo, but a lot of the upstairs are all just red wires!

Does anyone know when this would date back to? And am I going to have to get the house rewired?[/quote]

ANNIE86

GET in an Electrcian to provide u with some advice.

BLAKEY1963

jaffa19
Apprentice
Apprentice

by jaffa19 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:45 pm

I think you may find that if the power points are all in red you will need a sparky to sort things out, however, if the lighting seems to be all in red apart from the pendants in the ceiling this is quite normal and it's because the installation is more than likely to have metal earthed conduit and all of the drops to the light switching points are all live conductors, hope this helps a little.

I still would recommend getting a qualified electrician to carry out any work on your property.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:31 am