Redirecting and extending a kitchen ring on an old board
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
b4rrylee
Labourer
Labourer

Redirecting and extending a kitchen ring on an old board

by b4rrylee » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Hi, can anyone help?

I want to rip out my old kitchen and replace with a new one. In doing so I want to change positions of my sockets and cooker.

I have asked an electrician to quote for this.
He priced for changing my consumer unit and a separate price for changing the layout for the ring. He said my consumer unit does not conform to current regulations and needs upgrading.

I opted for just the ring and want to pay for the consumer unit at a later date. Can this still be signed off under the part p.

I just wanted to get a bit of an understanding before getting back to him.

Hope this all makes sense

Barry

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:16 pm

hi,
in rerouting the circuits it means THEY will need to comply with latest regs.

So in order to do so it will involve many of the things in a new board plus updating earth/bonding etc to latest standards.
Probably nearly as much work as changing board.

Doing it in stages will undoubtable cost more overall as work will be duplicated including testing/certifying/notifying etc. as the leckie will need to notify the changes it is up to him if he feels uncomfortable with a 'half-hard' job.

I would ask him if there is any discount for doing both together because I certainly 'load-up' any multi part quotes to cover only getting part of the job when customers start 'cherry-picking' bits of it as you are considering doing.
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:48 am