Redo oak dining table top surface
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
yklxmas
Labourer
Labourer

Redo oak dining table top surface

by yklxmas » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:04 pm

Hello everyone,

I bought an oak dining table from argos. The surface seemed ok first. but as soon as I wiped for the first time, the table top became sort of fury and rough. I'm thinking of redoing the surface. I'd like a smooth finish. My plan is to sand it first. Followed by 2 coats of vanishing and sanding between each coat. Then wax with briewax.

Can anyone give me any advice or correct me for any mistakes, please?

Thanks in advance.

greengrass
Foreman
Foreman

oak table re-furb

by greengrass » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:32 pm

SAND WITH THE GRAIN AND VARNISH WITH THE GRAIN.
Drop the beeswax or briewax? no use after varnishing.

Polyurethane varnish a good varnish brush. Don't be tempted with a cheap paint brush use the proper tool. White spirit a lint free cloth [ old cotton sheet/shirt, Electric sander use medium down to fine grade sanding sheets for initial sanding.
Hand sanding block and 2 sheets fine grade sand paper.
Prep: Working through medium to fine on initial electric sanding until surface is a smooth as a babies bum. Vac off and wipe over with white spirit using the lint free cloth. Allow to dry.
Apply first coat of varnish with the grain wait for it to thoroughly dry then lightly sand down each coat thoroughly to remove dust, allowing to dry between coats and wiping over with white spirit each coat after sanding, the last coat is obviously not sanded and should lay nice and flat and like glass if you've done it right, try not to 'Over paint' as you apply the varnish this can leave brushmarks. Time consuming but thoroughly worth it and the comments from visitors.
Look at around 5 - 6 coats depending how the first few soak in.

paulclark
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Redo oak dining table top surface

by paulclark » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:05 am

How you clean this table? I have a same problem

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 pm