Reducing Traffic Noise in Bedroom for Rooms in Roof
Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Phantome46
Labourer
Labourer

Reducing Traffic Noise in Bedroom for Rooms in Roof

by Phantome46 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:35 am

I have just finished a major renovation of my house, converting a bungalow and moving rooms upstairs into the roof. The design has allowed us to get almost full size ceilings by eating into the roof void as much as possible but a few of the rooms have the obvious roof valleys.

Our bedroom faces the road through our village and is approx 10 m away from the road itself. On moving into our room and ensure we have noticed increased traffic noise and also some aircraft noise from the roof which I would like to decrease as much as possible

Our room have a void in the eave with a loft door on as we can use this for storage. All of the roof is insulated with 150mm Delores followed by a damp proof membrane and then 20mm foam back 12.5mm plasterboard. The walls are timber stud and then have 120mm celeotex in them. OSB on the outer face and then 12.5mm plasterboard in the inner skimmed with plaster. My roof is a vented roof with vented eaves which I guess lets lots of noise in.

We have new double glazed aluminium framed windows in the rooms.

I have been doing some research on here and I understand that mass is whats needed to reduce the noise. I am looking at adding plasterboard to the loft roof and also to the OSB backed wall, followed by 3mm mass loaded vinyl sandwiched in between another sheet of plasterboard. This seems to be stated as the best way to dramatically drop the noise?

Does anyone have experience with this and would be able to advise how we make the room significantly quieter?

Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Reducing Traffic Noise in Bedroom for Rooms in Roof

by collectors » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm

Not an easy one. The best noise reduction i have seen is trying to get an air gap in between the two layers & this is just about impossible now its built. Noise finds it a lot easier to travel through an object as it has a surface to resonate on. We worked on a job where they wanted peace & quite between the bedrooms, so they built the stud wall 150mm but using 2x3 wood & building 2 walls that didn't touch & then weaved the dence glass fiber in & out of the two walls, Then two layers of 12.5mm plasterboard either side. You could seriously turn the music up & only just hear it in the next room. When we spoke to the builder, he said it was the architects idea & the most important thing was the air gap. This is why double glazing can really help with noise. The builder was very impressed.

Phantome46
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Reducing Traffic Noise in Bedroom for Rooms in Roof

by Phantome46 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:11 pm

Anybody else had anything similar?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:41 am