Regs/Best Practice for Core Drill Hole by a Window
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TedPea
Apprentice
Apprentice

Regs/Best Practice for Core Drill Hole by a Window

by TedPea » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi.
I want to have a single room MVHR unit installed in my bedroom, requiring a 120mm hole.
I don't think I can mount it high up as I only have a 500mm gap between the window and a wall. If it was drilled in the middle there'd only be a 190mm gap to the window, and also the wall.
How close to a window reveal can you core drill a hole?
I can't find anything on the internet about regs or best practice for this.
The manufacturer of one unit I'm looking at requires the centre of the hole to be 500mm from a window, 500mm from a wall, and 500mm from the ceiling. This seems excessive, so I'll check with them next week.
Thanks in advance.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Regs/Best Practice for Core Drill Hole by a Window

by ericmark » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:12 am

Can't see how there can be a standard, it would depend on what the walls are made from, and design of the home, and any liner used, when I was working as an electrician I had to apply for a penetration to the architects, who would say where it had to be, this was with pre-fab homes on the Falklands, in theory it should be the same with all homes, in practice we normally use some common sense, but we may see bricks on the outside, but we often have no idea what the inner wall is made from, with sisters house found insulation beads in the wall, and had to drill small hole and squirt in expanding foam before using core drill.

TedPea
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Regs/Best Practice for Core Drill Hole by a Window

by TedPea » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks Eric.

It's 1950's brick with a pebble dashed rendering.

I think I'll have to be methodical, and ask the building owner's permission before I buy anything.

Cheers.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1