Reinstating an Open Coal Fireplacein Lounge With Wooden Flooring
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bambam0074
Labourer
Labourer

Reinstating an Open Coal Fireplacein Lounge With Wooden Flooring

Post by bambam0074 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:56 am

Hi

Hope you guys can help, this is my first post so apologies if it is in wrong place..

I am looking to reinstate an open coal fire in my lounge in an old 1930s property. I have had one builder round to give advise and he has quoted £500 to open up the old fireplace and fit a cast iron fireplace I have.

Problem I have currently is I have been unable to get hold of him since his first visit and whilst I have no intention of doing the job myself I just need a little advice as am currently about to have solid wood flooring fitted and have already purchased my hearth based on advise the builder gave on his first visit.

The fireplace is small and the body of it is 60cm wide. I was advised I needed a hearth that was at least 15cm wider each side than the fireplace itself so I have gone for 100cm wide. He also advised that the hearth needed to be at least 30cm in depth in front of the fireplace so have allowed a little extra and ordered 35cm depth.

The wooden flooring being laid will be level with the front of the fireplace and he advised that I would need a minimum depth of hearth of 28mm as the flooring under is combustible and there wont be any airspace under. he advised because of this the thicker the better so recommended 35mm depth (Ive ordered 40mm just to be safe).

Within the actual fireplace itself I "think" he suggested he was going to put a fire cement within the hole and build that up to the right height and I didnt need to worry about getting a hearth that would actually sit inside the chimney breast as it was already a solid floor beneath and the fire cement could be used to build up protection.

The guy seemed pretty knowledgeable on installations but I just want to be sure before I have the wooden flooring laid and take delivery of the hearth that he was right in what he has suggested.

Many thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Reinstating an Open Coal Fireplacein Lounge With Wooden Flooring

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:36 pm

have the floor fitted afterwards, Its a messy job fitting a fireplace, so get the worst job done first, incase you mark the floor

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1