Relaying Floor Boards and I Have a Central Heating Pipe Question
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

Kevin1908
Labourer
Labourer

Relaying Floor Boards and I Have a Central Heating Pipe Question

by Kevin1908 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:18 pm

This is a plumbing and a carpentry issue but I will post it here. I want to relay the floor boards in my 1936 house on the landing and box room. The boards on the landing were bashed about a many years ago when the CH was put in. I have made the house carpet free 20 odd years ago but the gap between the boards on the landing has always been an issue as the boards seem to have shrunk much more here than else where.
I am toying with relaying with new boards but have two issues. The new boards a thicker, about 1.5 mm. Not too much of a problem. Just have a small step in the doorway to the 1st and 2nd bedroom. I will redo the boards in the box room as it is a continuation of the landing.
The issue is that the CH pipes were laid offset to the board that they are under, not dead central. If I lay the new boards starting from the edge on the landing and starting with a full width board the the joint between the 5th and 6th board will be directly over one of the two CH pipes.I am guessing that is not a good idea to have the CH pipes in line with a joint. I assume that I will have to re-route the pipes a couple of inches over otherwise the first couple of inches of the board is going to be unsupported. Either that or lay the boards with a gap.

Any other options.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:16 am