Relaying laminate
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alanandlyn
Labourer
Labourer

Relaying laminate

Post by alanandlyn » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:18 pm

I am planning a full refurbish of my daughters kitchen.

At the moment she has laminate flooring in her lounge that she feels is cold and noisy. Rather than just carpet over it I wondered if:

a) it is possible to lift it and reuse it in the kitchen, there will be more than enough.

b) whether the lining (underlay or whatever is under the boards) would be reusable.

c) whether there are any tips or guidance about attempting this as I have never tried any flooring before.

Thanks in advance

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:31 am

alanandlyn,
a) yes
b) no definitely not
c) you may have to remove skirtings to enable you to pivot the boards up. The boards will have a step which the interlinking board fits into - you need to remove the top board first and if the room is wide get someone to help lifting each strip so the you do not strain the joints.
When relaying make sure there are no broken bits of edging in the grooves.
end

alanandlyn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by alanandlyn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Excellent, thank you very much.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:29 pm

"a) it is possible to lift it and reuse it in the kitchen, there will be more than enough."

Yes.

"b) whether the lining (underlay or whatever is under the boards) would be reusable."

No reason why not but it depends on the type. If it's that useless polyfoam stuff probably not.

"c) whether there are any tips or guidance about attempting this as I have never tried any flooring before."

See [url=https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/floor_laminates.htm] here [/url]. Taking up is the reverse of laying. Hope its not been glued!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:48 pm