Relocating broadband connectiion is it possible?
Help and advice on software, hardware, configuration and general computing issues and problems

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bolster
Labourer
Labourer

by Bolster » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Some years ago I had `Telwest cable broadband` (now `Virgin`) installed in my spare room upstairs , I wish to know if it is possible to relocate the surface mounted box to my lounge downstairs. If I can be more detailed - 20 mtrs of cable are fixed to the external walls of the house and make an entry into the spare room, my intensions were to severe 18mts and come directly into my downstairs lounge then connected to the relocated surface mounted box, is this project feasible for an able DIYER and can anyone post a step by step guide. ( wireless router is unsuitable-medical reasons). Thankyou.

acsimpson
Foreman
Foreman

by acsimpson » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:30 am

If the box is the same as the one in my house then it has non-standard screws. I think this is telewest's way of saying keep off and assuming that their wiring is covered by the same rules as BT then you are not allowed to alter it.

3 options would be:
1) Run an extension after the telewest box either inside or outside the house.
2) Don't worry about the rules and try to open and move the box. if this goes wrong you will have to PAY FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.
3) Call telewest and see what they would charge to move it.

justint
Labourer
Labourer

by justint » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:21 am

Have you thought about running an Ethernet cable from where the box is now to where you need it. I use to do antenna installations and I can tell you can that running Cat5 is MUCH easier than running coax.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:17 pm