Removal loadbearing wall 15 years ago - no permission saught
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bevos
Labourer
Labourer

Removal loadbearing wall 15 years ago - no permission saught

Post by bevos » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 am

Could you help?

My parents employed a builder roughly 15 years ago to remove a wall in their living room to open it up. The builder said that no forms or permissions were required, so being naive and trusting their builder, they left it at that. My dad did say that an RSJ was used. Does that indicate the wall was load bearing?

The issue is that my parents are part exchanging their house with a builder and they are worried that when the surveyor come to access the house, the wall will become an issue. Should the builder have organised the appropriate paperwork? Will this be an issue for the survey and the sale of the house?
They are getting older now and are really stressed about this wall!

Any advice, greatfully received!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removal loadbearing wall 15 years ago - no permission sa

Post by welsh brickie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 pm

you didnt need permission 15 years ago,But it had to comply with building regulations.If the surveyor asks about it,state that you dont know what was installed but you do know its steel.Do not disclose any further information,Thats up to the new owners to decide if they want further information on the issue.
If there is no stress cracks or movement shown on the walls then normally no further examination is required.

tony.g
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Removal loadbearing wall 15 years ago - no permission sa

Post by tony.g » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Welsh Brickie is correct; and don't be bulldozed into paying to get a regularization certificate from the
Council, or alternatively into reducing the price. Prospective purchasers will often try and use situations such as this to cut the price. If there are no obvious defects, there is nothing to worry about.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1