Removal of old fire insert
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
boddies69
Labourer
Labourer

Removal of old fire insert

by boddies69 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi - I'm planning on removing an old fireplace insert from a fireplace in my cottage. Its the original but unfortunately the basket is broken so its beyond repair. My neighbour has had hers removed down to the bare brick and it looks nice. The insert is held in place by the original fire surround which is stone. Does anyone have any tips on getting the old insert out? I'm planning on removing the expansion material with a chisel, then using a jemmy to try and lever the insert away from the brickwork behind. Then I think its a relatively straightforward job to remove the rubble from behind it with a view to installing a basket in the newly-created space. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

mdpmspitfire
Tradesman
Tradesman

fire back

by mdpmspitfire » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:21 pm

may i suggest that you break out the fire back with a clubb hammer rather than trying to lever it out. small pieces rather than one lump will minimise surrounding damage. wear gloves and a mask as they are usually bedded in with lime mortar. also fire backs are designed to withstand high temp so when replacing with a basket dont go too big as the heat may crack brickwork
mark

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:26 pm