remove internal wall erect steel beam
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frances kerr
Labourer
Labourer

remove internal wall erect steel beam

Post by frances kerr » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:02 am

i want to take a small wall down,and put a steel beam in.the wall is only5ft long.do i really need planning permition.its an internal wall with stud walls up stairs.my housing association want an engineires drawing.the cheepest quote ive had is £250.is that to dear :cry:[size=18][/size][color=red][/color]

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:40 am

See the DIY projects section and look for loadbearing walls https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lo ... _walls.htm and forming openings in walls https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/lo ... _walls.htm . The rules are that if the alterations are of a structural nature, ie loadbearing, you need building regs. In this case it may be different because if you are living in a housing association home they can ask you to do pretty much anything they like to make sure you maintain thge integrity of the property.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:34 am

frances kerr,
You will need a structual engineer to have a look at it, just because upstairs wall above is a stud wall, does not mean that the wall downstairs is not carrying weight of the floor above. I'm assuming the wall you intend to remove is of brick/stone/concrete type material and not a stud wall also!
As for the cost this will differ depending in which area you live. I come from West Yorkshire and i'd consider the quote you have had to be reasonable. The last time I needed structual calculation for removal of internal wall it cost me about £400.
If the wall is also a stud wall it will not be load bearing.
Regards
KB

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1