Remove Thermostat to Replace With Hive but Which Wires to Connect?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
reddwarfcrew
Labourer
Labourer

Remove Thermostat to Replace With Hive but Which Wires to Connect?

Post by reddwarfcrew » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:05 pm

Hi,

I want to remove my current thermostat and replace with a hive. I know I could leave the old thermostat there and turn it up to max, but I'd like to remove it.

Do I simply connect the black and brown wire from A/B?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Remove Thermostat to Replace With Hive but Which Wires to Connect?

Post by ericmark » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Connecting A to B will mean the central heating will run, Hive can replace some but not all programmers, this instructions page 10 http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com ... 286225.pdf shows the connections, where Hive controls domestic hot water 2b duel channel there is no common connection, so it can not be used volt free. Also Hive does not have a option to connect to the bus on boilers designed for that system.

As a result there is a list of boilers which can't use Hive. Nest looks at first glance similar however it does have volt free contacts and the OT1 and OT2 connections are designed to be used with OpenTherm enabled boilers.

Nest also uses IFTTT so can follow electronic TRV heads or reverse. Although neither are a patch on EvoHome.

Any cables in the wall which are live need to be in safe zones which means you can't remove thermostat even if disconnected.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1