All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

Removing a flat panel radiator

by toplondonchef » Mon May 30, 2011 3:32 pm

Some advice please;
I usually remove the rads when decorating - straightforward easy job and have found that a paint roller tray sits nicely under the rad flow/return pipes and skirting board and catches the water from the rad.

In the room I'm about to decorate there is an upright, 6' flat panel rad with the flow/return pipes coming vertically out of the floor and into the underneath of the rad
After shutting of the valves, if I then slacken off the nuts the water will just pour out from the rad and it seems impossible to fit anything under the rad to catch the water

Whats the secret please to removing this type of rad and many thanks in advance !

stokedan1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stokedan1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:01 pm

hi there is a piece of equipment that allows you to remove a rad without draining it.

sorry im not sure what its called but it has a clamp that fixes to the bottom of the rad then you undo rad valve quickly put a piece of flexible rubber over the tail, blocking the hole, then this rubber pulls back and fixes to the clamp

what water spills out can just be caught on a towel

do the same at each end then just lift rad off brackets.

with a little research on net im sure you can find the equipent and probably make your own

toplondonchef
Ganger
Ganger

by toplondonchef » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks stokedan 1 for your reply

Do remember seeing some time ago a similiar sounding product being shown on Dragons Den but not sure if this ever made it to market

Will look on the internet for this product in the meantime as was reluctant to fully drain down system as only recently treated with inhibitor and also leak sealer

Think I will consider fitting isolating valves at some stage to ease removal in the future

Thanks again

DIYDoctor2
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Removing a flat panel radiator

by DIYDoctor2 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:40 pm

We feature the RadKit Pro in our removing a radiator project - this sounds like the device you mean https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/re ... diator.htm

See the video review here http://player.vimeo.com/external/962019 ... 1e41aeff9a

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am