Removing a light fitting
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GavinS
Labourer
Labourer

Removing a light fitting

by GavinS » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:17 pm

Hello,

I've browsed the articles but can't see how to remove a light fitting?

We have two wall mounted lights linked to the main ceiling light - one switch turns them all on or off. We want to remove the two wall mounted lights.

I'm pretty comfortable with most simple electrical work (changing ceiling lights, replacing sockets and switches, etc), but I'm not sure how I should terminate the wiring.

Ideally I was hoping to remove the light fitting, cap the wires (?), and then bury "cap" into the wall and fill the hole.

Any suggestions as to how to do this welcomed as Google seems to have failed me!

Thanks,

Gavin.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:33 pm

The cables must be traced back to teh fueboard and the supply to the lights terminated there. You cannot leave a live supply in the wall no matter how many times you "cap" it.

GavinS
Labourer
Labourer

by GavinS » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks - I will get the torch out and see if I can trace them back to the fuses.

Sounds like it might be a job for an Electrician though. As you said - it's probably not a good idea to leave live wires in the wall!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:14 pm

It sounds as if the wall lights might be connected at the ceiling rose as they work with main light, check how many red wires go to the flex connections, there should only be one from the switch, which may be a black wire marked by tape or sleeving, to confirm the other flex connection should be blue with two or more blacks to it.
also count number of reds connected together but not going to flex ie looped in, repost with info, will try to help,as said by doc don't cap off and bury wires, someone else won't know

SPARX,

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:22 pm