Removing a pull cord light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blackburn1
Labourer
Labourer

Removing a pull cord light switch

Post by blackburn1 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:40 am

I want to remove an old pull cord light switch from my spare bedroom but I#m not sure how to go about sealing it off corectly. Any ideas?

TOPSPARK
Ganger
Ganger

removing a pullcord

Post by TOPSPARK » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:11 pm

First isolate lighting circuit for upstairs lighting then secondly disconnect wires from inside pullcord. If pullcord has three wires and earth then this is two way switching. You will need to take switch off wall and disconnect the same three wires out of the switch and tape up the ends at the switch and at the pullcord the connect the two remaining wires in the switch at terminals com and l2 for one way switching
Regards
Topspark

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi presume it's on a 2way circuit with sw. by door?
If so then [after isolating circuit] note which wire of the 3 connected to switch goes to term marked C or common. Remove sw. replace in loft with small 4 term junction box, putting common wire and either one of the other 2 (but not both) together in one term. put other wire in another term alone, and earth wire (if there is one) in another term alone.
If set up not as above reply with more info on wires connected at pull sw, (colours / terms).
regards SPARX

towsjaybee
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Removing a pull cord light switch

Post by towsjaybee » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:49 pm

I would like to resurrect this post if possible. I am trying to remove a light pull from a bedroom and need to block it off safely.
There are 7 wires, 2 red, a black, a blue, 2 earth and a yellow. What do I need to do to ensure all lights work and it is safe.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:20 pm