Removing a socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
inch high
Tradesman
Tradesman

Removing a socket

by inch high » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:03 pm

Hi guys,

How easy is to remove a socket from a wall. Its in a stupid position in my lounge and I'm getting the wall plastered, so I though I'd remove it at the same time.

Is it just a case of removing the front and replacing it with some sort of backing plate that would then be skimmed over? I assume once disconnected the wires would have to be reconnected to complete the ciruit again?

Is it easy to do for DIYer?

Or, if I do have to get a sparky in, how long should it take them?

Cheers folks!

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:12 pm

hi inch high,
The cables do need to be reconnected as it will be suppling power to the next outlet, You then fix a face plate over this back box, but you can not plaster over this because of safety reason, the fact that a live is running the wall needs to known and can be identified by the plate being visable.
Kind Regards
KB

inch high
Tradesman
Tradesman

by inch high » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:15 pm

Seems a bit daft to have to do that, because there will still be wire behind the plaster away from the face plate.

Is it part of building regs to do that?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:44 pm

Hi inch high,
I know it might seem inconvenient but there are what you call permitted cable routes, where cables are concealed in a wall and if the cable is not enclosed in earthed metal conduit,trunking or ducting. It must follow a safe route, Which will be indentified by this face plate. Section 7 (7.3.2) in the on site guide and regulation 522-06-06 BS7671 wiring regs.
Regards KB

PS and if anything goes wrong with the circuit it will give you an inspection point for this termination.
Remember be safe!
Good Luck
KB

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 pm

if the wires go down under the floorboards , you could chase them back out and pull cables under floor and rejoin in a suitable j/box or even reroute to a more convenient location

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:31 pm