removing artex
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
maureenjack
Labourer
Labourer

removing artex

by maureenjack » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:02 pm

I have a huge area of artex too large to be practical to wet strip. Could a thick layer of plaster (or two layers ) be applied? I am concerned about sanding it first to remove high spots for the 2mm skim as a plasterer suggested. The reason being I have been informed that it may contain asbestos as it was applied a number of years ago. The trouble is I cannot find any concrete evidence as to what date this procedure stopped. Apparently a sample can be tested but is costly. It also takes considerable time, something I don't have the luxury of as delivery of furnishings looms closer. Finding the date this method of production stopped would be of greatest help, but I would be grateful for any advise

TwoSheds
Labourer
Labourer

Covering Artex

by TwoSheds » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:13 am

Amazing that with such a common problem there is no established remedy.

I have a large Edwardian house with poor plasterwork and much artex so was faced with the same problem 20 years ago. The biggest concern ( if a property is old, has character and cornices ) is that any coating has to stick but can only be 2 or 3 mm above the existing surface otherwise you satert to get problems with mating correctly with existing edges.

Solution - and this works : Find a Plasterer that you can work with. Clean the wall first. Apply undiluted PVA to the surface. Apply a very wet coat of BONDING plaster. Just as the bonding is going off but is still wet apply a coat of HARDWALL ( finish ) plaster and polish as normal aswell as detail edge finish.

This is a very straight forward process and done correctly will safe much time, money and mess.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:42 am