removing dimplex heaters
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
monday
Labourer
Labourer

removing dimplex heaters

by monday » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:54 pm

I have two dimplex heaters that I want to completely remove. The wires go straight into switch in the wall. Could someone please walk me through how to remove them safely or point me to somewhere on the internet that could help. Bearing in mind that I am a woman that can do limited DIY :roll: . Many Thanks

Jeffmo
Ganger
Ganger

dimplex

by Jeffmo » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:50 pm

Firstly switch off at Consumer unit or remove relative fuse ( after switching off main switch remove fuse ) . Remove cover plate to appliance and disconnect the wires both fixed wires and appliance wires , you then require some connection blocks , which can be purchased from any good diy store. Place the connector blocks ( there should be 3 ,one for each wire out of cable ) on the fixed wire and replace the front cover of the switch plate with a blank plate . This then terminates the ends of cable and shows that there is existing wiring in the area where the heater was . This i think is the safest way , just burying the cable is dangerous for anybody that does not know the cable is there . A blank plate is an inspection plate aswell >Hope this helps ,oh use 30 amp connectors assuming wiring is on ring main .Cheers Jeff. You could possibly turn this location into a socket also , your choice , but be carefull no exposed cable.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:05 pm

Not sure what kind of heaters you have as 'Dimplex' is brand name & they make all sorts.
are we talking night store, or infra red bathroom type, or wall mounted convectors?
regards Sparx

monday
Labourer
Labourer

by monday » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Hi Sparx Sorry I should have stated they are wall mounted night storage heaters.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:17 pm

ok as night stores the points will be fed from a seperate consumer unit from the other circuits in the house, it will only be live at certain times IE at night say 11pm till say 6.30 AM, Plus some tariffs gave an afternoon top up.
locate fuse bd fer heaters and switch it off, it will have all 15A fuses or 16A mcb's as a clue.
If it does not supply a night store immersion heater also you could get the main connection tails to con.unit altered to make it on permanently then change wall outlet plates to sockets if needed.
Otherwise do as 'Jeffmo' suggests only vary unlikely to be on ring just one set of wires in each as nitestores normally run as a radials , one cable to each. you would need leckie to make changes at consumer unit if you go that route,
B.W. SPARX

monday
Labourer
Labourer

by monday » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:44 pm

Many many thanks to both Jeffmo and sparx, that has made it very clear there is no immersion heater to worry about so I feel this will make it easier. Thanks again guys.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:13 am