Post your questions and find answers on all garden related topics and areas

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
blove
Labourer
Labourer

Removing existing decking stain prior to re-staining

Post by blove » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:01 pm

Hi

I'd like a recommendation on the best/easiest way including products to enable me to remove existing decking stain from my decking to allow me to re-stain. Do I use a high power pressure washer and blast it off (though I'm not sure this would be the correct action!), or is there a product that I can use that will be quick and efficient and not take me absolutely ages (the decking size is approximately 50sqm)?????

kind regards

Brian

rormerod
Labourer
Labourer

Post by rormerod » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:44 pm

Hi,
I used a Karcher pressure washer on my decking last year. It brought the surface looking as good as new!

Don't blast too closely though or you could actually damage the wood itself.

Like you, I'm not sure if this is actually recommended but it seemed to work.

Rich

fencecoaters
Labourer
Labourer

Post by fencecoaters » Tue May 22, 2007 8:15 pm

Hi,
It depends on type of stain that was originally used, and just power washing will probably not remove all the original stain. You need to soften up the original stain first with a propriety decking cleaner, Cuprinol, Ronseal etc, or a product called PrepDeck. Apply this to the stain, wait for about 20 mins then try to power wash off at low pressure.
Hope this helps.

deck co
Labourer
Labourer

Post by deck co » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:24 pm

where can you buy prep deck? ,it sounds like what i am looking for ,and do you know what quantities it comes? as i have an enormous deck to strip :cry:

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:47 pm