Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jim A
Apprentice
Apprentice

Removing kitchen wall tiles

by Jim A » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Hello all.

I need to remove all the wall tiles from a smallish kitchen. I've tried removing one tile to see how well they were stuck on, and it looks like whoever did it used plenty of adhesive - it came off in pieces with some wall plaster as well.
So, I'd welcome any advice as to the easiest way of removing them, and especially, what's the best sort of chisel to use?.

Thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 pm

Jim A,
The easiest way is to hire an sds hammer drill with hammer action only capability plus a tile removing chisel. Otherwise it is a bolster and club hammer.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:37 pm

Its almost inevitable that the plaster comes off with the tiles and the older the property the more likely it is. If you want to take a long time over it use an electricans bolster and club hammer. If you want to do it quickly use a drill that provides a chisel function with an angled tile removal chisel. Cleared a 2m x 2m bathroom tiled floor to ceiling this week clean back to bare brick in a couple of hours with one of those!

BTW Its not worth patching it from a speed point of view. Have the lot off and start again.

Cheers

Jim A
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Jim A » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks stoneyboy & rosebery - I'll try the SDS drill and angled chisel suggestion.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:44 pm

"I'll try the SDS drill and angled chisel suggestion."

Make sure its a three function one. You need chisel function otherwise the chisel will just spin and be useless in this application.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:25 am