Removing Lining Paper From Living Room Walls - What Could be Underneath?
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
TracyJane1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Removing Lining Paper From Living Room Walls - What Could be Underneath?

Post by TracyJane1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi

I would like to remove the lining paper from my living room walls put up by the previous owner. My worry is what is underneath?? Why would someone put lining paper up?

It's all over, living room, stairs, bedrooms. The bedroom walls are bumpy in places, maybe that's why they papered there, but I can live with that.

The living room walls look smooth to me which makes me wonder why they papered it?
I don't like it because it overlaps and some of the overlaps aren't parallel maybe because the walls aren't straight. (Victorian Terrace)

What is the worst case scenario with regards to the plaster if I strip the paper?

Thanks

proptech
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Removing Lining Paper From Living Room Walls - What Could be Underneath?

Post by proptech » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi TracyJane1

Who knows ! but we can guess. To be quite honest, lining paper, correctly hung is capable of providing a very acceptable finish on a very bad surface.
So be aware that it is there for a reason.
Please understand that in a property of that age, the plaster is not going to be at it;s best, and to obtain nice smooth painted walls, lining paper is one answer.
It does have to be hung with a degree of skill though.

TracyJane1
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Removing Lining Paper From Living Room Walls - What Could be Underneath?

Post by TracyJane1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks Proptech maybe I'll just leave it on : )

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 am