DIY Doctor

Removing old valves from radiators

Postby yorksvilla » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Wanting to change all old valves on radiators to thermostat valves. Cannot remove the old valve parts that are screwed into radiator and tightened with an allen key. They appear seized, any suggestions on loosening them. Does anyone know the size for the allen key as I have now ruined the only one I have. :(
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:30 pm


Simply Build It

Postby muzza » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:09 pm

Try screwfix, radiator key around £2.80
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Postby marrtin » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:29 am

If you have ruined an allen key, the chances are it was the wrong one to start with. Radiator valves sometimes have slots in and a normal key will not fit properly. A proper key is a must and readily available.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:42 pm

Postby peter the plumber » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:01 am

It’s not a radiator key it’s a radiator spanner.

There 2 types one for metric and for imp.

Any good pluming suppler will have them. Better buy both at the same time, you always find you have the one that don’t fit and end up going back to buy the other one.
peter the plumber
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 197
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:19 am

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics