Removing Old Water Heater Switch Wires and Terminating Safely
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grahamggg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Removing Old Water Heater Switch Wires and Terminating Safely

Post by Grahamggg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:40 pm

Hi all,
I have 2 old water heater switches on my landing that I want to remove and fill in the holes. One is live 24/7 the other labelled boast is on E7 11pm to 7am. I have found where the wires come down from the loft and want to know a safe way of terminating them in the loft?
My plan was to pull the cables and place them in their own 30a junction box labelling each one.
Is this same to do?

Thanks G

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Removing Old Water Heater Switch Wires and Terminating Safely

Post by lets have a look » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:46 am

yes that's safe,the E7 is economy seven so isolate the switch which is on a different circuit board, the other one can be isolated under Immersion heater

Grahamggg
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Grahamggg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:41 am

Thanks for your reply.
When you say isolate the switch I assume you mean turning them off on the fuse box?
So I can place each wire in its own jb turn off at the fuse box and that's safe.

lets have a look
Foreman
Foreman

Post by lets have a look » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:47 am

Yes,you will have a separate fusebox for economy seven,I am not sure but check if you pay an extra standing charge fol E7

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by ericmark » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:14 am

[quote="lets have a look"]Yes,you will have a separate fusebox for economy seven,I am not sure but check if you pay an extra standing charge fol E7[/quote]
This was the case, but in later years things changed so you could run the washing machine and tumble drier over night. The Economy 7 is the name of the tariff not the system. There are now many ways it is used. Including Radio 4 activated switches.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:54 am