Removing old yellow paint from woodwork?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
eaw458
Labourer
Labourer

Removing old yellow paint from woodwork?

by eaw458 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Hello,

I am in the process of stripping a Victorian wooden hearth surround. After removing various layers of top coat, the very first coat of paint on the surround is a yellow, brittle paint which I have trouble removing.

Using a scraper sort of works, but the paint seems to be completely resistant to paint stripper.

What is this old yellow paint? And what is the most effective way of removing it?

Thank you

manol84
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Removing old yellow paint from woodwork?

by manol84 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:07 pm

[quote="eaw458"]Hello,

I am in the process of stripping a Victorian wooden hearth surround. After removing various layers of top coat, the very first coat of paint on the surround is a yellow, brittle paint which I have trouble removing.

Using a scraper sort of works, but the paint seems to be completely resistant to paint stripper.

What is this old yellow paint? And what is the most effective way of removing it?

Thank you[/quote]
I think this could be one fo these old undercoats that they used back then. A way to go about removing it is getting one of those really strong substances (just cant remember the name of it) that dissolve paint.You can find it in B&Q
good luck

rigga
Ganger
Ganger

by rigga » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:46 pm

manol84
If you have tried the non chemical strippers and they have not worked. You could try nitro Morse a strong paint stripper used in the trade. Stipple the paint remover on, be generous. Cover with newspaper and leave for a short while. Test a small area until the nitro Morse has started to soften the paint. TAKE PRECAUTIONS WITH THIS MATERIAL, GLOVES, GOGGLES, VENTILATION AND DO NOT EXPOSE TO ANY HEAT OR HOT WATER WHEN WASHING TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT

pbp
Apprentice
Apprentice

by pbp » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:51 am

stay clear of Nitromors and any toher stripper that contains DCM....NASTY stuff! try the stripping paint on the projects page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/paintstrip.htm which is a product that is totally safe and should shift most things.....

B&Q do a 500ml and they call it Home Strip

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm