Removing paint from stone
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jaykay
Labourer
Labourer

Removing paint from stone

Post by Jaykay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi
Single mum, trying to renovate a Victorian semi with little cash and no help. Not the world's greatest at DIY but I'm hard working and enthusiastic...perhaps a little too enthusiastic! Rear entrance hallway has stone mullion window surrounds which were painted with gloss. Decided to strip the paint off..big mistake. Have managed to get the top layers off with a heat gun and used nitromors to try to get what was underneath off but I just seem to be smearing it back on again. Is there a solution that would get the residue off (which won't kill kids or cats?) or shall I just sand down as flat as I can get and paint it back up again?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

aeyres
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by aeyres » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:12 pm

You can get various polishers/grinders designed for stonework & these will help to take off the top layer of the stone, thus removing the paint)

Depending on how intricate the profile is will depend on whether it is a job worth undertaking yourself. If you have a large fairly flat stone mullion i think it is worth considering. If you have quite intricate designs/features in the stonework i think you would be best to re-paint. Either that, or seek a stone mason to restore your victorian features to their original glory, though this would be more costly

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:55 pm