Removing Pillar Tap Jumper Valve Assembly to Refurbish
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

Nearlyman
Tradesman
Tradesman

Removing Pillar Tap Jumper Valve Assembly to Refurbish

by Nearlyman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:57 pm

Have not found specific reference anywhere on how to remove the jumper valve assembly on a traditional ,rising spindle, pillar tap: the jumper being the part (as I understand it) to which the tap sealing washer is directly fitted - either as a push on/pop on or held in place with a small nut. Web sites I have visited say simply: "replace the jumper assembly" they give no indication as to how the jumper assembly is to be removed.
I am trying to replace the existing jumpers with a more successful version, which is a jumper with a flat, circular end (a disc) and a pop on washer arrangement, which appears to be the favoured type for pillar taps at this time. My taps are at least 12 years old and have a shallow cup at the end of a plain shaft into which is firmly pressed the washer (it's a tight fit) and secured with a small nut. I have, so far, been unable to draw the jumper from the valve body: the first one I tried the cup parted company with the shaft. As the shaft is (otherwise) a loose fit in the body of the tap, i.e. it can rotate and move up and down freely, it will now be impossible to remove (by drilling) as it has broken off flush to top of hole and there's nothing to get a grip on. According to the research I have manage to carry out these sub-assemblies ought to simply "slip out" or otherwise be easy to prise out - I haven't managed it yet and I am already one, unusable tap to the bad! The reason for the exchange is I have carried out tests and proven beyond any reasonable doubt that the pop on washer type on a flat disc mounting works more efficiently than those with a washer jammed into a cup and tightened with a small nut. Question is how do I get the old jumper free from the tap body without damaging the tap itself? I cannot afford to replace six taps - and that's not including bath taps - even if I could match the style, which I suspect, instinctively, due to their age, I will not be able to do.

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 am