Removing Plaster From Brick Victorian Chimney Breast
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

WanderingBee
Labourer
Labourer

Removing Plaster From Brick Victorian Chimney Breast

by WanderingBee » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:55 am

Hi all,

I'm a DIY novice, so please forgive my ignorance. The fireplace and chimney breast in my Victorian cottage are currently plastered over. I would like to remove the plaster and expose the original brickwork. Based on neighbouring properties, I expect that there is a brick arch present, and I would like to make a feature of this by opening out the space beneath - there is a fireplace recess at the moment, but I suspect this is smaller than the original opening.

I would ideally like to do the work myself, but am a bit nervous that I will cause my house to fall down! Before I begin, I have a few questions:

1. Am I biting off more than I can chew given my limited (non-existent) DIY skills?

2. So far I have a bolster chisel, club hammer, wire brush and dust sheets. Are there any other tools/equipment I'm likely to need?

3. The neighboring houses have just a brick arch and no lintel - is it likely that there will be a lintel or does the arch provide enough support on its own? I've read something somewhere about steel bars being used to support the arch.

Thanks for your help!

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:38 am