removing plug sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stewartw
Labourer
Labourer

removing plug sockets

by stewartw » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:45 am

I have plug sockets that i no longer need. ineed to take them away and fill in the plasterboard. what do i do to isolate the wires left behind?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:47 pm

stewartw,
Gets difficult with current regulations, unprotected wires can only be run vertically and horizontally from outlets. If you conceal what was an outlet there will be no indication that the wires exist. Leave the sockets or fit maintenance free junction boxes and a cover plate over the holes.
end

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:37 pm

To comply with regs it will be necessary to either fit blank plates over holes to show wiring is there or to remove or isolate the cables further back on the circuit by possibly locating drops and cutting and joining correctly to maintain the circuit.
If you simply put connectors in place of outlet and cover over no one will know that wires are running up/down walls.
Sorry won't be easy but has to be done.
I'm pleased you asked though!

stewartw
Labourer
Labourer

by stewartw » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:42 am

Thanks stoneyboy and sparx. it seems a bigger job than i imagined, so have manged to talk my wife into leaving the sockets where they are. That's saved me one job, only 1001 to go. thanks again

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:28 am