Removing redundant 2nd telephone line - surface mounted box
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Julesdiy
Labourer
Labourer

Removing redundant 2nd telephone line - surface mounted box

by Julesdiy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi please can you help me - I want to move my furniture around in my lounge and used to have a 2nd telephone line which included broadband - I have now cancelled the services.

The line appears to be fed through the plasterboard from the "master" line box to the second line surface mounted box next to it.

I would now like to remove the second box as it is redundant but I am not sure what I need to do in terms of the wires and whether I can feed the redundant wires back into the master box myself or have to get someone in to do it for me. Do I need to seal the ends of the wires and with what?

Also I am not sure if I am allowed to do this myself i.e. any regulations? Although the box is only small it is restricting the space for me to move furniture against the wall. Would appreciate anyone's advice.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:56 pm

The BT master socket allows all extensions to be simply plugged in. If that has not been the case in your house then you should still be able to remove it but of course can't advise how to do it when not standard. It was a BT only job but with de-regulation I don't think this any longer applies.

333rocky333
Ganger
Ganger

by 333rocky333 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:14 pm

If its a proper bt MASTER.
It is in two parts

If you remove the front section of the MASTER, the main connections are seperate.

The extension wires are the ones on the front section and simply pull off or unscrew , you should check by colour and size if its the same cable as the other end before removing.

The voltage is about 50 volt if still connected on the back section, but the front when unplugged from the back half has isolated from that voltage.

As most is surface cable You can then totally remove the wire and box ,just leaving the MASTER.

Julesdiy
Labourer
Labourer

by Julesdiy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:02 pm

Hi thanks so much for your help and apologies for delay in responding - all sorted and ready to start my move! :lol: Thanks a lot.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:03 pm