Removing Wall Above Old Doorway Completely in 2 up 2 down Property
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sankesolutions
Labourer
Labourer

Removing Wall Above Old Doorway Completely in 2 up 2 down Property

Post by sankesolutions » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:43 pm

I live in a house which used to be a 2up2down and at the top of the stairs you turned left or right to go into the front or back bedroom at some point the back bedroom was turned into a bedroom and bathroom and the old door into back room, was removed and it made a little hallway.

This is on the second floor, and what I want to do is remove the wall above the old doorway to make it feel less cramped. At the top of the stairs is a loft hatch.

You can see some photos and a crude floor plan at https://goo.gl/photos/WhRtSGGV2YkRGL4E8

Im in a bit of a quandry as to whether removing this is safe. I could put a new lintel in right at the top, so there is less of a wall and I think this would be fine, but im leaning towards putting in a bigger loft hatch with a drop down ladder. To do this would mean extending the hole over the current doorway.

I have no issue that the roof beams will be OK, its only a loft and when I extend the hole I would make sure the new timbers around it are doubled up and done properly. However the wall the doorway is in, will now no longer be tied into the party wall.

Is this a problem? Its still tied in the other end and i could attach the beams above to it, but the bit above the doorway will be gone.

Any thoughts on what best to do? new loft hatch or lintel and leave it as it is? The hatch is quite small.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Removing Wall Above Old Doorway Completely in 2 up 2 down Property

Post by welsh brickie » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:29 pm

you could remove the brickwork, and replace it with glass blocks, and tie into the wall with metal rods.
This will give you extra light, and help to tie in the walls.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:01 am