DIY Doctor

Render repairs

Postby Griff.slap » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:14 pm

My cottage has a Tyrolean finish over render. Over the last few years, some cracks have appeared and I am repairing them by cutting out the cracks and filling with sand/cement render. To finish the job, I need to apply a tyrolean coating, but I have been told that I can use a mix of sand/cement in the " flicker " machine, which will adhere to the render better, and be cheaper. Is this right, and if so, what mixture/ratio do I use, and what ingredients, ie soft sand, sharp sand, cement, etc ? Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:37 pm

However and whatever you apply you are unlikely to conceal your repairs unless you re-coat the whole wall.
Try using a mix 4:1:1 plastering sand OPC and lime. If this is not satisfactory use a proprietory tryolean render.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 3675
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics