All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
goose
Tradesman
Tradesman

renovating Bathroom

by goose » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Hello, Some quick questions if I may.

I've knocked the toilet room and bathroom into one. I want to fit a shower cubicle and tile the floor (either amtigo type tiles or ceramic).

Can pipes be chased into cinderblocks?

When tiling the floor are floorboards ok or should I put down a board flooring? - if so which one?

Can the shower tray be fitted straight to floorboards? or as above do I need to fit some board of some kind?

thanks

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: renovating Bathroom

by rosebery » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:11 am

[quote="goose"]Can pipes be chased into cinderblocks?"

Yes but you should use soldered joints and protect the buried pipework with densotape before overplastering

"When tiling the floor are floorboards ok or should I put down a board flooring? - if so which one?"

No floorboards are not Ok unless you want to be redoing the job in a short period. I'd use 18mm WPB ply screwed at 300 centres if over the existing boards or 24mm if direct onto joists. Alternatively you could use a thiner ply and a decoupling membrane between the tiles and the board.

"Can the shower tray be fitted straight to floorboards? or as above do I need to fit some board of some kind?"

If it's a stone-resin tray you should mount onto a sand/cement mortar over WPB or birch ply. If it's one of those with adjustable feet then leave out the mortar but still onto ply.

Cheers

goose
Tradesman
Tradesman

by goose » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for the info! - thats one less thing to worry about! (I hope!)

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:42 pm