Reoccuring Light Switch Prob.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dsbutler71
Labourer
Labourer

Reoccuring Light Switch Prob.

by dsbutler71 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:57 am

I installed a new ceiling light yesterday and accidentally connected the wires incorrectly. When I flipped the breaker, it made a fizzing noise and I shut it off. After I wired the light correctly it turned on but the switch made a buzzing noise when I tried to turn it off (and the switch wouldn't shut the light off). I replaced the switch today and the same thing happened. Not sure if this matters, but there was no ground wire to connect to the light switch in the box. The lights on - and I can't turn it off. Any suggestions???...thanks...

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:28 am

From your use of the word ground instead of earth wire we are wondering if this is an American installation. If it is we cannot help you as this is a UK specific website and all of our regulations are different. If not hang about and an answer will undoubtedly be with you soon.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:01 pm

Hi Assuming UK wiring ie loop in with 3 sets of red, blk & earths then you have done the usual thing of not noting which one of the blacks was on its own & have put them all together, right?, WRONG!
If you go to the 'projects' part of this site you will find drawings of a ceiling rose. It clearly shows 3 reds together [not connected to light], 2 blks together [connected to the Neutral Blue] & one blk coming back from the sw. which is sw.Live to light.& should have been marked as red with tape/sleeving! & connects to brown of flex. Unless using a metal switch the earth {ground] not important.
when you switched on breaker with switch in 'off' position light will have come on, then when you turned sw. 'on' you are putting a dead short circuit across switch ,this will 'kill' it. you need to find out which 'Blk' is the sw, Live if you can't then you need help,regards
SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:36 am