Repainting chipped/mouldy window near kitchen sink
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
macduy
Labourer
Labourer

Repainting chipped/mouldy window near kitchen sink

by macduy » Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:14 pm

Hi,

I'd like to re-silicon our kitchen area but noticed that the window that's near the sink is chipped and has some mouldy parts where the silicon has fallen off.

I'd like to try to do this myself as I think getting a professional in for such a seemingly small job would not be economical. However I'm new to DIY so unsure where to start with.

Any advice would be appreciated!

InkedIMG_1288_LI2.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Repainting chipped/mouldy window near kitchen sink

by stoneyboy » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi macduy
You need to cut out the old silicone, remove any residual traces with your finger nail. Sand back the sill to remove all loose paint and leave the wood to dry out. This will be difficult with the tap in such close proximity but try standing a sheet of an impervious material behind the tap. Paint the sill - probably 2 coats plus a top coat then reform the silicone bead.
Regards S

macduy
Labourer
Labourer

by macduy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:40 pm

Thank you for your reply and the tips, I appreciate it. I'll give this a go, the wetness due to proximity and constant use of the sink might be an issue - I was thinking of repainting the sill in the evening to give it time overnight to dry. If there are any other ideas, I'm all ears.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi macduy
There are two separate drying periods needed. The longer one will be to dry out the timber itself and I would leave for a week for the sill to dry. Once painted, overnight should be more than enough.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:07 pm