DIY Doctor

Repainting recently painted front door with gloss paint

Postby Kuri chod » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:25 am

Hi,

I need some help and advice. I recently painted my front door (1 week ago). It was originally a wood stained door and I painted over it with a gloss paint. However the colour didn't really turn out to be what I wanted and I've decided while I have the time, I'm going to redo it, instead of living with it.

I know have the perfect paint colour I want. My question is, what do I do for preparing the door.

Do I have to sand the door, if so, which grit sandpaper and do I sand back down to the wood? Or just enough to scuff the gloss off and provide a key.

Also would you recommend to have a layer of primer or undercoat after sanding and then paint my new colour, which is also gloss.

Appreciate the help
Kuri chod
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby stoneyboy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi Kuri chod,
Use abrasive pads to sand the door, do this lightly if you used a water based top coat. Then apply the recommended undercoat for the colour of your top coat.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!