Repair a leak at an outdoor joint in a clay drain pipe?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
theophilus
Labourer
Labourer

Repair a leak at an outdoor joint in a clay drain pipe?

by theophilus » Sun May 10, 2009 3:29 am

I have found a leak in a joint in the clay drain pipe leading from my house to the septic system. I have dug completely around the pipe but am not certain what is the best way to repair this leak. It is leaking slightly more than a dribble and it does carry all the water from the home. Someone somewhat facetiously suggested encasing the joint in cement, and it was tempting, but I am not certain that is going to fix the problem and not create other problems. I also had someone suggest silicon, which does sound somewhat promising. Have you had experience with this sort of leak in this sort of pipe previously, and had positive results. I am trying to keep the costs down as the budget it tight. Thank you.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun May 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Cut out a section with an angle grinder, and fit 2x :-

http://www.avenuesupplies.co.uk/index.p ... 5413&sid=1

Using with plastic pipe to replace the cut out section.

htg

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun May 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Agree with HE - theres no other way.

The Hepsure coupling provides better performance under potential shear conditions than that linked to as it also has a centre band whiuch adds strength but theres absolutely nothing wrong with one in the link and you should find most decent plumbers merchants will stock something similar.

Cheers

theophilus
Labourer
Labourer

by theophilus » Tue May 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for your responses. :D One fact I inadvertantly omitted was that this leak is at the joint. :oops: Does this make a difference as to the methodology for repair?

Also, is there some clothing you would recommend for this sort of job. I seem to have incurred some skin irritation :mrgreen: while working on this pipe. It seems the gloves I was using probably were not the best.

Thanks for your input on this. :wink:

Theophilus[/quote]

diy_sw
Labourer
Labourer

by diy_sw » Tue May 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi,

Following on from this point:
I've got a similar problem- leaking soil pipe at the base. The base of the soil pipe is boxed in concrete, about 5x5x5" (WxHxD). My question is: after I remove the existing concrete & repairing the leak as suggested above, is it advisable to replace this concrete casing, or can the hole around the pipe be simply cemented flush with the ground, as in the soil pipe project:
https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/soilandvent.htm
with fig. https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_ima ... ngthin.jpg

What are the pros and cons of not having a base boxed up in concrete? javascript:emoticon(':?:')

Thanks for any advice!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm

Sorry for late reply. I've been working away from home since Mon lunchtime.

"Does this make a difference as to the methodology for repair"

Sorry for late reply. I've been working away from home since Mon lunchtime. No not really you just cut the joint out.

Check with your local BCO that they don't want to inspect the repair after you've done it and before you cover it all up again. They may charge you so to do.

Decent pair of rubber gloves and non leaking wellies should do the trick.

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Wed May 13, 2009 11:23 pm

"I've got a similar problem- leaking soil pipe at the base."

Actually its not quite the same problem as the location is different and the fix probably will be.

"My question is: after I remove the existing concrete & repairing the leak as suggested above, is it advisable to replace this concrete casing, or can the hole around the pipe be simply cemented flush with the ground, as in the soil pipe project............"

Until you open it up you won't know what the concrete is covering up. It may be a joint. It may be that the concrete is covering up the fact that there is a gap between the soil pipe and the underground connection. It may be that the concrete casing was put there to try an repair an existing leak before.

As I said I suspect its highly likely that the fix for the OPs problem won't suit yours - in that case sometimes a new thread is beter then the two answers don't get mixed up leading to confusion.

"What are the pros and cons of not having a base boxed up in concrete?"

No advattage to doing it whatsoever as far as I can see - although I do have a sneaking suspicion that its the result of a previous leakstopping attempt.

Remember to make that lil ol call to your BCO to be on the safe side.

Cheers

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:39 pm