Repairing and re painting rendered wall
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jamie72
Labourer
Labourer

Repairing and re painting rendered wall

by jamie72 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:49 pm

My rear wall has been previously rendered and painted but is in need of a freshen up.After closer inspection i have found some of the render to be loose in various patches(spongey when pressed) i dont want tyo repaint over these areas as it will eventually crack and fall off. I am looking for the correct process to treat these areas before painting. Should i remove loose areas then use stabiliser before using filler and is it ok to use bog standard exterior filler. I am planning to use 2 coats of sandtex paint??Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Not really a fan od sandtex, i preffer a good weatherseal dulux or crown. You would be best to use some lime and cement or what ever was used do give the proper texture, then a thinned coat of what ever paint you are applying followed by 2 full coats should be enough.

jamie72
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Repairing and re painting rendered wall

by jamie72 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:26 pm

jamie72 wrote:My rear wall has been previously rendered and painted but is in need of a freshen up.After closer inspection i have found some of the render to be loose in various patches(spongey when pressed) i dont want tyo repaint over these areas as it will eventually crack and fall off. I am looking for the correct process to treat these areas before painting. Should i remove loose areas then use stabiliser before using filler and is it ok to use bog standard exterior filler. I am planning to use 2 coats of sandtex paint??Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Will look into repairing it with lime and cement. Would i need to use stabilser on the wall before applying any type of filler?? Also any tips on repairing with lime and cement would be appreciated as have never attempted any repair work like that before!!

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

by JRS » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

It should take without anything, just wet the area 1st, It will be impossible to make it look identical so dont bother you will just irritate yourself. Just try blend as best you can. when set thin coat of paint and 2 coats or what ever looks best.

jamie72
Labourer
Labourer

by jamie72 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm

JRS wrote:It should take without anything, just wet the area 1st, It will be impossible to make it look identical so dont bother you will just irritate yourself. Just try blend as best you can. when set thin coat of paint and 2 coats or what ever looks best.

Thanks for your help!!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:54 am