Repairing broken stone gate posts
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Grust
Apprentice
Apprentice

Repairing broken stone gate posts

Post by Grust » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:18 pm

Hi
I've rebuilt a short section of sandstone wall at the front of my cottage but both of the matching stone gateposts had previously broken just above ground level. The stubs appear to have been dug out and disappeared before I came here. I'm OK with setting them on concrete plinths (or suitably shaped stone if time and budget permit), which would only have to be showing 10 -20 cms above the ground. Best received knowledge is that I should have a couple of M16 s/s threaded bars joining the post to the plinth, plus resin between the surfaces. But how does one drill the holes in exactly the right location in the plinth to match the bars in the base of the post, or vice versa? I would like to be able to hang a gate between them.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Repairing broken stone gate posts

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:41 pm

Hi grust
Addressing your question, use a piece of card to mark the perimeter and hole locations on the bottom of the post. Turn the card over and mark the hole locations on the base. Drill oversize holes in the base, this will allow some flexibility when you fill with anchor fix and drop the post in place.
Regards S

Grust
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Grust » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 am

Now why didn't I think of that?
Thank you Stoneyboy. Sounds like you've done that sort of job yourself.
In stonemasonry repair work, how does it rate in difficulty 1(easiest) to 10 (hardest)? I'm including the construction of the concrete plinths in that.
I've concluded that the job is well beyond my meagre talents (and strength) and it would help me to assess what a stonemason may charge for the repair and installation of the two posts, £500? or £1500?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Hi grust
You do not specify how wide the gates are or what the gates are made of which makes it difficult to advise.
Casting concrete plinths is the easy bit. Using your proposed construction design will probably not be adequate because there will be a natural weakness at the plinth/post join. It will be necessary to tie the posts back into your new wall.
I doubt your higher figure of £1500 will be adequate for two sandstone posts manufactured and installed with gate hinges.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 pm