Repairing gap between stairs and wall
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mphan
Labourer
Labourer

Repairing gap between stairs and wall

by mphan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:07 am

Hi,

I have a gap of varying degrees betwen the wall and the wooden plank that runs up the stairs alongside the wall. I think they call it the wall string . I tried filling it with decorators caulk but this too has cracked and it looks really bad ow. This is a new house that is about two years old so gaps due to settlement. Any advice on how best to repair or treat before painting much appreciated. I thought of using a decorative moulding to place on top of wall string but because of the settlement the wall string seems to be narrower in places where the gap has allowed some movement of the wall string into the wall at the bottom of the stairs. No point getting builder to come back I have a better chance of falling pregnant.

Regards
Mark

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:42 pm

hi mark,

[quote]the wall string seems to be narrower in places where the gap has allowed some movement of the wall string into the wall at the bottom of the stairs[/quote]

not sure i know what you mean. how can the wall string have gotten thinner? do you mean that less will protrude from beneath the moulding that at the top due to its proximity to the wall?

if it were me i would buy a flat, plain piece of moulding, horizontal to bridge the gap and scribe it to match the profile of the wall all the way up. a hassle but a neat result.

good luck with the family planning, i hope you fall soon...

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:41 pm