Replace Danfoss controller with Hive Receiver
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JohntheSaint
Labourer
Labourer

Replace Danfoss controller with Hive Receiver

Post by JohntheSaint » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Hi. I have purchased a Hive system to control heating and hot water. Can you tell me if it is simple to remove a Danfoss FP715 controller and fit the Hive receiver without touching any wiring. I have read that the Hive can be simply attached to some existing back plates. Thank you.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Replace Danfoss controller with Hive Receiver

Post by ericmark » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:55 pm

The configuration is the same for Hive duel channel and FP715, however the latter comes in 230 volt and 24 volt models, and it is only a programmer, there is likely a thermostat some where else.

It says "On 24 volt models power supply must be wired to A & B on wallplate." but never used the 24 volt model.

Boilers tend to have up to three methods to wire in a thermostat.
230 volt
24 volt
0 - 40 volt to ebus
Hive duel channel can only work with 230 volt control, Nest can use any of the options. EPH can work with two options at the same time. With all the so called Smart controls no one does it all, so it is a case of selecting best for your home within a price limit.

I got it wrong, and I will admit it, I got Nest, then found the TRV heads which it claimed worked with it, don't.

Hive works well it seems, but rather expensive, the wall thermostat is cheap but the TRV heads are expensive. It has a unique method of control, non of the others seem to use it, the "demand for heat" from the TRV heads keeps the boiler running even when the wall thermostat is satisfied.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:39 pm

ericmark, I get the impression JohntheSaint is asking can he just take his current timer off from it's back plate and put the hive receiver in its place (Same back plate) since he said
JohntheSaint wrote: Hive receiver without touching any wiring. I have read that the Hive can be simply attached to some existing back plates.

I do not know which is why I said nothing.

JohntheSaint
Labourer
Labourer

Post by JohntheSaint » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:44 pm

Many thanks for your replies. Yes, I am hoping the Hive receiver will fit without having to tackle any wiring. If not, I will have to find someone who is confident enough to fit this. As for the thermostat, the Hive one is wireless, so the existing one just needs to be disconnected which shouldn't be a problem. Thanks again for your comments.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:50 pm