Replace large glass window with UPVC Patio Door or Wooden
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
clarke1981
Labourer
Labourer

Replace large glass window with UPVC Patio Door or Wooden

by clarke1981 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Hi

Hope somone can help.

We live in a house which was built in 1905.

There is a very large aluminum window (actually it does not open, its just one sheet of glass and is very large) It currently looks into a conservatory which was added later but is not "attached to the house ( only by flashing etc).

We want to remove this window and replace with double doors ( double doors would be the same size as this glass (maybe a little smaller) There is wall underneath this window.

My question is - providing there is a lintel above the window - which I assume there is - can we just remove the wall underneath the window (and only the area under the window) and replace with doors with no other work ? Well apart from cleaning it up and plastering etc.

Will the lintel support the removal of the wall? I am guessing that it would but would rather check with someone. We are also going to remove the current kitchen door near it but this is going to be bricked up.

Any help would be gratefully received..... we have looked every where for advice but cant find anything over the net.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

wall removal

by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Yes you can remove the wall below the window.I suggest using a diamond blade saw to cut the exterior .

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:48 pm