Replace old oil boiler with oil or lpg?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mpeill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replace old oil boiler with oil or lpg?

by mpeill » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:13 pm

My current Trianco oil boiler is faulty, and Trianco went out of business last year, so no spare parts available. This is a standard boiler, with flue through an external wall. The current oil tank is housed in a barn/workshop but with no retaining wall, installed before the regulations required this.
I'm wondering whether to go for a replacement oil or lpg boiler, the lpg having less moving parts and quieter? What I don't know is the current installation regulations I'd need to comply with, mainly siting of tank, since I have no private land other than the barn in close proximity to the house.
Can an lpg tank be installed without a surrounding wall?
Can it be in the barn/workshop?
If I get a replacement oil boiler would I need to have the retaining wall?
Can it still be in the barn?
Anything else I may have forgotten or not know about?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:54 am

There is some good info & links on this page from Calor. Google "calor.co.uk/heating/domestic-central-heating/storage-options/single-bulk-tank-supply/above-ground-bulk-tanks/"

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:39 pm

mpeill,
Collectors has answered your lpg queiries.
Unless it's the boiler shell that has failed all other parts are pretty standard and any decent spares supplier will be able to provide replacement parts.
If you retain the oil option you will need to seek the advice of an oftec person regarding protecting and bunding the oil tank.
end

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1