All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
barretec
Labourer
Labourer

Replace outside tap

by barretec » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi
I have an outside tap that is broken and needs replacing, the tap is some distance from the house and NOT linked to the house supply i.e. when I turn the house stop cock off the outside tap still runs. Am I right in thinking that this tap has been taken off the main supply before going into the house?

If this is the case, what do I need to do to stop the water supply so I can replace the tap?

Thanks

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:03 am

Hi
As the broken tap is some distance from the house it is possible it has been taken off the mains supply before it enters your property. Can you not trace back from the tap to where the pipe has been connected? May take a little digging, I'm afraid. If your suspicions are correct about how it has been connected you will have to contact your local water company to get the water turned off although they will probably not be very happy and will almost certainly order you to remove the tap altogether.
Best wishes.

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:45 pm

If it is run to outside mains supply, you need to turn it off at the street - look for metal cover on the pavement, lift this up, clean out mud! and turn off - this may be stiff and you may need to make an impromptu lever to do this.

barretec
Labourer
Labourer

by barretec » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

Am I allowed to turn of the mains supply at the pavement or do I need to contact Scottish water?

I don't believe it's shared as each house has it's own cover that says WATER.

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:25 pm

Hi again
If the stopcock is on the pavement it usually belongs to the water company. Many plumbers will turn off as suggested by Swidders but you should be aware that any damage you may do will almost certainly incur a charge from the water company, so in my opinion, you would be better to be safe than sorry. I have always found any water companies I have contacted to be more than helpful.
Best wishes.

aceone
Tradesman
Tradesman

by aceone » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 pm

hi....yes its ok to turn off in footpath as long as it does not affect anyone elses water supply.......if when you try to turn the tap of in the footpath and you find it just goes round and round you will then need to contact the water board to replace it there is usually no charge for this......

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:12 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:29 am