Replacement boiler for cellar - vented through chimney
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
supagav
Labourer
Labourer

by supagav » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:33 am

Hello. My first post and any advise would be gratefully received.

I live in a terrace house and currently have an old Vulcan Continental boiler in my cellar. The boiler is currently working but the system surrounding it (pump/stats/timer/tanks) is flaky at best. I would love to replace the system with a combi boiler but I am unsure about how I would be able to vent it.

The current boiler vents through a flue which disappears up the chimney breast. The cellar does not have much clearance of ground level and is only at the front of the house.

Is it possible to buy a boiler that will vent through the existing flue or does that not meet regulations? Are there any other ways around it without a very expensive relocation of boiler/pipes etc?

salbal1977
Labourer
Labourer

by salbal1977 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue - did you ever solve the problem please?

Kind Regards
SalBal

supagav
Labourer
Labourer

by supagav » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi,

I did get some replies from another site. Apparently it is possible to purchase condensing boilers that will use a flue. And it is legal to have a flue through the chimney as long as it is sealed and not used by any other appliances.

However the general concensus seemed to be that it would be far too expensive to have replcaed in this setup so a boiler in the loft would be the only other solution. Unfortunately due to the credit crunch I have refrained from actually having any work done as it is currently not broken!

Hope that helps.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1