Replacement for old Cannon Live-Fire Gas Fire
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MagicalMouseOrgan
Labourer
Labourer

Replacement for old Cannon Live-Fire Gas Fire

Post by MagicalMouseOrgan » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm just a home owner that is looking into replace my existing old Cannon Live-Fire gas fire. I'm not flush, so I want to keep my existing fireplace. I've had a couple of fire place companies come round for an assessment.

One mentioned that the base of my existing fireplace was too low and needed to be at least 50mm from the ground, and then started talking about raising it by placing a layer of slate on top. Another fire place company seemed happy with my existing fireplace and never mentioned any problems with it.

I'm trying to get another few companies in, in fact I've got one visiting tomorrow. To see if this is mentioned by anyone else.

So my question is does the base of my fire really need to be raised to 50mm from the ground or was the fire place company trying it on and trying to sell me bits of slate that I don't really need.

Is there some form of independent certification that my new gas fire may fail on after the fact of being installed.

Thanks in advance or any advice.

MagicalMouseOrgan
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Replacement for old Cannon Live-Fire Gas Fire

Post by MagicalMouseOrgan » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:03 pm

Just wanted to post back. I've had two different companies now saying that my existing marble fire place is fine. I think those that said the base of my fireplace needed to be elevated to 50mm were trying it on and trying to sell me slate or a brand new fire place that I didn't need.

IloatheBG
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by IloatheBG » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:33 pm

No. He was probably the most technically competent if those that visited!

The rules state that the hearth should be "50mm abive the floor to discourage the placing of combustible floor coverings in front of the fire".

I confessthat that is from memory, and have not owned my fireplace shop for about 5 years. So is nt word for word.

I find that many potential clients and questioners on this type of forum keep asking the same question until they get that the answer that suits them.

In terms if certification, it would have been classed as Not To Current Standards (NCS), but we now do not issue warning labels for NCS, but most of us still note them on the invoice or report sheet.

If you have the frie fitted, and request a Gas Sae finspection, the installer will be pulled up by the inspector for non compliance.

MagicalMouseOrgan
Labourer
Labourer

Post by MagicalMouseOrgan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:47 am

Thank you for your reply.

I do appreciate your honesty and wisdom. Please keep replying on this forum and I'm sure others benefit too. :-)

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:15 pm