Replacement Gas Fire onto existing BackBoiler.
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
biggles111
Apprentice
Apprentice

Replacement Gas Fire onto existing BackBoiler.

by biggles111 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:19 pm

I'm in the process of updating a small flat and want to remove the gas fire that is fitted. The fire is an old Baxi type with a back boiler.
I am unable to fit a new condensing boiler due to the structure of the property.
My wish is to remove the fire leaving the back boiler in place to continue in its work supplying the heating and hot water, and to replace the ugly old fire either with a new contemporary gas or electric unit. So my question is ..... is this an option ? is it possible to split the boiler and fire and either plumb an new one back in or put a new electric fire in its place.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:40 am

The gas fire has to be the correct one for the back boiler, most back boilers only have the choice of 1 or 2 fires, and most you wotn be able to get replacement fires for. It is not possible to fit an electric fire to a gas back boiler.

The boiler cannot be used without the fire being in place, it is dangerous and illegal. Is there no way of fitting a combi ?

biggles111
Apprentice
Apprentice

by biggles111 » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:28 pm

The only suitable location for a new boiler would be in a shared store room used by two seperate flats.
Also the gas supply is at the opposite side of the property, with concrete floors in-between. there is no visable sign of the existing flow and return pipes to the heating. All this combined with 800mm thick sandstone walls and no safe position for the flue to exit.
All the possibilities for positioning the boiler are void as the flue would exit the flat immediately below the windows of the upper flats.
I would have to have the boiler in the living room .... nice :D !

Aarovic
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Aarovic » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:03 am

If you have no alternative location for a new condensing boiler you can still have a new conventional back boiler and fire installed. Your installer has to complete a simple points-scoring form to confirm the property is elligable. This information is then passed on to CORGI when the appliance is regestered.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:46 am